Purbrook Park House was built in 1770. In the 1920s the house became a grammar school and later a primary school. The main building has existed on the site since 1769. The original settlement of Widley was about 1 mile west of the present place. St Michael's convent was built in 1885. There is a children's park, bowls area, tennis courts, several cricket pitches, a football cage and a basketball court all located in 'The Heath'. Purbrook is a village and local government sub-division located in Hampshire, England. The school is a Language College. In winter coaches had to make a detour to Havant. However, in the late 19th century it grew rapidly. That may be a corruption of Saxon words meaning dormouse valley. In 1903 a tram called the Horndean Light Railway began running between Portsmouth and Horndean. Purbrook Park House was built in 1770. Fort Purbrook is also another main attraction just located off Portsdown Hill. Its name is a corruption of the Saxon words Pucan broc, which means the brook of the water spirit. After a very successful weekend the organisation have agreed to hold an annual meeting here. The Franklin Park Arts Center offers performances, art exhibits, as well as classes in the arts. It's name was ori… It is home to an activity centre, and is occasionally open for craft fairs. On the southern fringe of the forest was the little village of Purbrook. At the time of the first census in 1801, the population of Widely was 277. In the 1920s the house became a grammar school and later a comprehensive school. Purbrook is on the outskirts of Waterlooville just north of the Portsmouth city Boundary. There is also 1 newsagent, a Onestop, 1 fish and chip shop and 1 pub, The Woodman. The trams ran through Widley and Purbrook. Before then the area was part of the Forest of Bere, which stretched from the border of Sussex to Winchester. By 1851 it was 565. Square block of 3 storeys and cellar, with lower extensions at the rear and north side. Purbrook Church (St Johns) was built in 1858. North of it was Horndean. The Purbrook church (St Johns) was built in the years 1843-1858. However, the modern village of Widley was founded by the Saxons. Until the 19th century, a great forest stretched across Southeast Hampshire. Also nearby was Denmead. Early in the 19th century a windmill was built in Purbrook. Yellow brick walls in Flemish bond, tile roof, parapet with stone coping and brick dentilled band, rubbed cambered arches, rusticated quoins, stone cills, plinth. Fort Purbrook was used as the location for the 1st 'The Late Bay' Winter Camp. Its name is a corruption of Pucanbroc, which means the brook of the water-sprite. By 1901 it was 1,619. A settlement at Purbrook grew up in the 18th century. The only local newspaper Purbrook has is The News. THE PURBROOK PARK LEARNING TRUST - Free company information from Companies House including registered office address, filing history, accounts, annual return, officers, charges, business activity In those days fairs were like markets but they were held only once a year and they attracted buyers and sellers from far and wide. The house and its 4 acres worth of grounds were sold at auction to Maurice Hill. The house remained empty until 1924 before County Au… The original building was built for Peter Taylor MP by the Palladian architect Sir Robert Taylor, who was also the architect of the first Bank of England. On the southern fringe of the forest was a stream called Purbrook. Early C19. The Church of St Mary Magdalene was rebuilt at Widley in 1849. Today Purbrook has a population of over 9,000. In 1903 a tram called the Horndean Light Railway began running between Portsmouth and Horndean. Purbrook village is part of Purbrook Ward which also includes Widley and Crookhorn and has a population of 9,281(2001), taking up 7.7% of Havant borough's population. Waterlooville and Cowplain did not exist before the year 1815. There is also a popular recreation ground known as Purbrook Heath. On the southern fringe of the forest was a stream called Purbrook. A track led through the forest from Horndean to Portsmouth but it was only usable in summer. The estate was bought by John Deverell in 1839 and remained within the Deverell family until 1919, when the estate was sold off at auction because the cost to run it was too great. Waterlooville and Cowplain did not exist before the year 1815. Waterlooville and Cowplain did not exist before the year 1815. Its name is a corruption of Pucan brook, which means the brook of the water spirit. It was rebuilt in 1837. Some of the activities are archery, indoor rock climbing and rifle shooting. Purbrook Park House was built in 1770. In 1869 Purbrook Industrial School opened in Stakes Road. House (flats and office). Early in the 19th century, a windmill was built in Purbrook. However, it was demolished in 1953. A BRIEF HISTORY OF PURBROOK AND WIDLEY, WATERLOOVILLE. The trams ran through Widley and Purbrook. It is surprising that Widley was allowed a fair as it was only a small village. In 1869 Purbrook industrial school opened in Stakes Road. Now the Forest of Bere is a mixture of woodland, open space, heathland, and farmland that includes a small part of the South Downs National Park. At it vagrant boys learned trades such as shoemaking. My Youtube video about Widley and Purbrook. There is also The Rowans Hospice located opposite the tennis courts. Widley was widen leah, which meant wide clearing in a forest. There is a long road that runs right through it, which is called Purbrook Heath Road. This changed in 1711 when a much better road was built from London to Portsmouth which went from Horndean to Cosham along what is now London Road. In 1715 Widley was granted an annual fair to be held in July.